11 Tips To Save Money On Health & Beauty
*This is a guest post from our friend Richard.
As a student, you know school is expensive. From tuition to books, to room and board, your money is spread thin enough as it is; throw in personal hygiene items and beauty products and you may just find that you have less money than you can get by with. Luckily, while it can be hard to save money on your college expenses, you can save money on your beauty regime with these 10 tips.
1) Clip coupons – Clip coupons for toothpaste, for example, and you’ll find that cleaning your teeth costs very little money. Combine those coupons with in-store specials and you might just be cleaning your teeth for free.
2) Buy in Bulk – Everyone needs toothpaste, deodorant and soap. Visit one of the big box warehouse stores and buy in bulk, particularly if there is a great deal.
3) Comparison Shop – Just because you normally shop at a larger store doesn’t mean that you can’t scope out the grocery store for great deals on hygiene items. Grocery and discount stores often have better prices than the larger stores.
4) Stick With One Product – Even though you love to try new things, find a product that works and stick with it. If you love Suave, don’t buy Pantene on a whim. Sticking with one product will save you shopping time and money.
5) Buy Store Brands – Stores like Walmart often have their own brand name and they are almost always cheaper than the branded items you’ll find on the shelves. Try one of these ‘generic’ products. If it works for you, great! You’ll save money in the long run.
6) Go To a Dental School – Got some issues with gum disease, or simply need a clean and polish? Since you’re a student, you are most likely near a dental school. These schools often offer discounted or free dental services to volunteers.
7) Watch for Sales – Just about every store has a weekly flyer. Try to shop for your toothpaste, shampoo and soap when they are on sale at the local drug store. Combine these sale items with coupons you’ve clipped if you can!
8) Make Your Own – On your next trip home, or even in your dorm room, try your hand at making your own soap or shampoo. You can often make triple (or more) of the amount of product for the same price it would cost you to purchase one item at the store.
9) Make-Up – If you have a big night out but don’t have a ton of make-up in your drawer, don’t spend a lot of money on new product. Head to your local mall and get a free make-over at the beauty counter for the night.
10) Rewards Clubs – Many stores have rewards cards. Use them to your advantage. The cards may offer rewards or discounts on items in your shopping cart or rewards that you can use in the future to save money.
11) Buy 2-in-1 – Buy products that do two things at once. 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner will save you money as will purchasing lotion that also contains an SPF. Rather than buying two separate products, you get the job done with one.
*Richard is a freelance writer whose main areas of interest are healthy living, dentistry and living the student life. Check him out at @thefreshhealth.