Business, Education, Biology, Communication… What Are You?!?
August 4, 2010
Major. Often used in sentences such as, “I have a MAJOR problem!” or “Ugh, this MAJOR headache won’t go away!” Funny thing is, picking your major in college can be a problem, and can also cause headaches! Some students start their college career with a “set path,” hell-bent on the idea that they will never wander, and never EVER change their major, HA! Speaking of wander, have you heard the saying, “Not all who wander are lost?” Great saying for the sake of choosing your major! Reason being? Even if you think you know what you want your major to be when you are a freshman in college, it is good to explore your options, try new things… “Wander” a little. This way, at the end of the day, you will never wonder “What If?” We have complied a short list of helpful hits when picking your major:
1. Explore Options through “General Requirements” (or electives, or core classes, whatever your college calls them!): All colleges require “generals.” Take a variety of classes! This way you are exposed to everything. Rent Textbooks from Textbookstop.com, so you won’t be stuck with books that are of no use later!
2. Narrow It Down: Decide what subjects interest you the most.
3. Talk to a Guidance Counselor: Make sure you know exactly what you need to do to get your degree in one or maybe even two majors.
4. Take Some Classes: Take more classes in the field(s) you are looking at to get a better understanding of what it’s all about!
5. Make a Decision: Decide what you want to do! Then go with it! Picking a major should be fun! Choose something you love, in the end, that’s all that matters!
Tell us, what’s your Major?