True Life: I Graduated College
July 7, 2010
Yes! CONGRATULATIONS! All of you college seniors out there made it! Think about it, you tell yourself, “If I just make it through four years of college, pay my tuition, rent my textbooks from textbookstop.com, and pass all of my classes, I will have made it… the whole world is in front of me, I can be whatever I want to be… immediately!” HA! The little hidden secret… IT TAKES TIME! Tick… Tick… Tick… awwww the sweet sound of time is putting me to sleep. RELAX! HAVE FUN! Soak up the sun! It’ll come! In the meantime, some helpful hints that will help you land the job of your dreams…
- Experience Everything: Take a step back, reevaluate, and experience something new! This will help you sort out what type of jobs you like and dislike!
- Research: Look the company up! Find out the main focus of the company, company values, qualifications, pay, opportunity for advancement, etc. These things will help you to evaluate whether the job is right for you!
- Discover connections: Sometimes it’s not what you know, but who you know. Companies value referrals, so start networking! We know you’re good at it!
- Polish your resume: Make sure that the information on your resume is relevant. Insert jobs and personal attributes that pertain to the job you are applying for!
- Interview: Research! Knowing about the company is a huge advantage in the interview process. Practice! Look up mock interview questions, and prepare your “Elevator pitch.” Then practice with a friend or in front of a mirror.
- Note: An “Elevator Pitch” is a 30-60 second pitch about yourself that often follows the interview question, “Tell me about yourself.”
Just remember to smile! What’s the saying? A “smile” is worth a thousand words… wait, I think that’s a “picture”! Well… hopefully in this case, a smile is worth thousands of dollars! Good Luck to all the Grads out there!